Wednesday, March 30, 2005

The HIV Test

I hate going to get tested 4 HIV. Even the times that I know I'm fine because I haven't engaged in what they like to term 'risky behavior', it's just something about the process that is completely nerve wracking. Especially the fact that they make you come all the way back out in person after waiting at least a week to get your results.

Well, I just had my regular bi-annual HIV test yesterday and I have to say they have definitely come a long way. No more needles, no more waiting 2 get your results. They simply stick this chemically coated cotton swab across your gums which tests for antigons, stick it in a clear solution, and badda bing badda bang, not even 5 minutes later you have your results! So, the panic zone has decreased from ten days to just under 5 minutes. Fabulous.

While there, I also debunked a few myths I've had. I've heard everything about the safety of oral sex concerning HIV ... a doctor once told me there's practically no way you can get it through oral sex, the chances are miniscule. I've had people say that as long as you don't get nut in your mouth, you're ok and some have said if U don't swallow U have nothing 2 worry about. So while there yesterday, I asked 4 some definitive information on the subject. Turns out they recently did a study and oral sex is a bit more risky for contracting HIV than they once thought. In the study, 7.8% of HIV- positive men (8 out of 102) contracted the virus through oral sex. So, while it is a much much less risky thing to do than say getting it up the bum, there IS still a risk. I wish I could remember the name of that doctor who told me not to worry about it all those years ago.

Secondly, a friend had me scared shitless cuz he seemed to believe that HIV can "hide" in your body for up to seven years without showing up on a test. Well, that's just not the case. It takes 6 weeks to 6 months for HIV to show up. If after 6 months from your last "indulgence in risky behavior" you're clean, than you're clean. Maybe what he meant was that you could have HIV for years without it ever turning into full blown AIDS. Well, that much I knew.

Third myth I debunked was "U can't get it if you're only a top." Well, while it is a lot less risky than throwing your legs over your head and getting it up the bum or, if you're a woman, getting in the pie-hole, there is still a risk. It's right above the risk level for oral sex.

Bottom line is ... wrap it up before you smack it up! Though I can only say that about anal sex. I don't think I could ever use a condom for oral sex. I mean, what would be the point? There's a lot of shit going around now through oral sex though. So, I guess u just have to be careful about what u put in your mouth.

And, something I didn't know, there is even a risk, albeit a smaller one, of contracting HIV through rimming. 4 those of U who don't know what rimming is, well then, u have nothing 2 worry about!

So, now my HIV test is done. I'm clean in body and mind and ready to go through the next six months being a lot safer and more cautious than I was these previous 6 months. That should be a little easier because my priorities are changing. I want something real, something meaningful, something deep. Well, I've always wanted that but I've always settled for less. No more. No more settling, damnit. I deserve better!

"Looking 4 love in all the wrong places. Putting your faith in things that only make u cry." - Prince, The Holy River.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home